House Removals GuidePrinted Guide »
Moving house can be a busy and hectic process, and even those who are well organised are in danger of forgetting one or two crucial things. That’s why the experts at Britannia Sandersteads have drawn up a useful checklist to help you every step of the way, starting long before the moving day to help you stay on top of things...
Three Weeks Before Moving...
- Finalise your moving date with Britannia Sandersteads to make sure you get the day you need.
- Create a full list of items that will need to be moved – making a particular note of those that will require special care and attention.
- Arrange for someone to take care of small children or pets on the day of the move.
- Start to go through your possessions, clearing out anything you no longer wish to keep.
- Begin to make your way through all the food in your freezer.
- Finalise your moving plan with your Britannia Sandersteads removals manager.
Two Weeks Before Moving...
- Contact all service providers to arrange final payments, including:
- Telephone company
- Internet provider
- Electricity company
- Gas company
- Water authority
- Local council tax office
- Insurance companies
- TV Licencing
- Similarly, contact those that will need to be aware of your change of address, including:
- Doctors, dentists and opticians
- Banks (direct debits, standing orders)
- Car registration
- National insurance
- Child benefit offices
- Pension companies
- Friends, relatives and clubs
One Week Before Moving...
- Arrange for all appliances to be disconnected and reconnected at your new property if appropriate (washing machines, dishwashers, cookers etc.)
- Design a plan for your new home, detailing where all furniture and large appliances will be positioned.
- Ensure that all attics and garages/sheds are fully cleared out, and no flammable liquids remain.
Two Days Before Moving...
- Defrost the refrigerator and freezer.
- Cancel any outstanding milk deliveries or newspaper/magazine subscriptions.
One Day Before Moving...
- Take down all wall hangings (pictures, mirrors) and curtains/blinds.
- Put together a bag for essentials on the day – coat, wallet, phone, keys, water and snacks, cleaning materials, any urgent phone numbers or information.
- Ensure that all drawers and wardrobes are completely emptied of items.
- Make sure that you have contact numbers for your removals team.
- Prepare houseplants for transit.
- Don’t forget to keep your bag of essentials with you at all times.
- Take meter readings at both properties.
- Ensure that all electrics are turned off.
- Make provisions for your old keys – do you need to leave them with estate agents?
- Try to relax while Britannia Sandersteads take care of all the hard work!
- Our Additional Services
- House Removals
- Furniture Removals
- Piano Removals
- Furniture Hoists
- Man & Van
- Guide to Moving House
So for expert and reliable house removals at affordable, cost-effective prices across Croydon, London and Surrey, simply give the friendly team at Britannia Sandersteads a call today!