International Removals Checklist
Making a move internationally is a pretty big deal and you’re going to need the assistance of a professional removals company like Britannia Sandersteads to help you – and all your belongings – get there safely and in one piece.
That’s why we’ve come up with an international removals checklist so you can have some of your questions answered.
What countries do you do removals to?
It’s important when getting in touch with the removal companies to first check exactly where they offer their removals service to. This may seem an obvious question but it can easily be forgotten about and just assumed they will cover everywhere.
Here at Britannia Sandersteads we do international moves to regular mainline destinations such as:
• South Africa
• New Zealand
But we also ship to any worldwide or European destination you may be moving to.
When do we need get in contact with the removals company?
The secret is to allow yourself enough, if not too much, time to prepare for your move. If you begin your research at about 6-8 weeks before you intend to move then this should be plenty of time to choose your company and make all the necessary arrangements with them.
Is everything included in the price?
Included in a basic removal:
• Pack all belongings as per inventory using export grade packing materials.
• Preparation of inventory and shipping documentation.
• Return the packed belongings to the consolidation warehouse.
• Re-load them into a shared load shipping container.
• Transfer the sealed contained to the port ready for shipment.
• Ocean freight to arrival port.
• Normal customs clearance.
• Deliver to the final address.
• Unpack and remove packing waste.
Excluded from a basic removal:
• Any detailed customs inspections, fumigation, x-ray or quarantine.
• Import duties or government taxes payable.
• Permits and customs duties.
• Local taxes, storage, diversion, insurance, abnormal access delivery.
What items should I not include in an international household goods shipment?
Do not include anything that is perishable as your goods could be in transit for up to 3 months if it’s a faraway move, so leave any foods or liquids that could leak out of your shipment.
Also in a more general sense, don’t over pack your containers. Things are likely to get damaged if you cram them together so try and be ruthless and take only the essentials.
Can I pack everything myself?
Most removals companies will offer a specialists packing service, like we do here at Britannia Sandersteads. There are highly trained staff on hand to pack, wrap and load all your belongings making sure they are safe and protected for the journey ahead. However, if you did want to pack for yourself then the materials can be provided for you by the company.
How long will it take?
This simply depends on how far away you are moving too. An international move can range anything from 3 weeks to 3 months.
If there are any other questions you have in mind about your move, please do not hesitate to get in touch with the professional team here at Britannia Sandersteads. We can arrange a pre-move survey and consultation to take the stress out of your move.